Activities may be temporarily suspended due to COVID-19 safety precautions.
Undergoing treatment for cancer is an overwhelming experience. That's why our facility truly believes interacting with other patients can be a very important part of the healing process. Therefore, there are a number of opportunities for patients and caregivers to interact in group settings or social activities and visit local places of interest. We encourage you to participate in the many programs that UF Health Proton Therapy Institute offers.
Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have had to temporarily suspend many patient and group activities. We hope to have many of these programs back as soon as possible. In the meantime, please take advantage of the various activities below. When participating in activities, please remember to follow the recommended safety precautions of physical distancing, wearing a mask, and good hand hygiene.
New Patient Orientation Tours
A 30 minute guided group tour of the facility is available three days a week to patients and family members. Our interactive walking tour through the facility provides patients the opportunity to see equipment used for treatment and ask treatment-related questions.
Tour groups meet in the lobby.
- Monday – 12 p.m.
- Tuesday – 4 p.m.
- Wednesday – 4 p.m.
Proton Ambassador Program
Our Proton Ambassadors are people who have completed proton therapy at our facility and have volunteered to be a resource for people who are considering proton therapy for their cancer care or that of a family member. With all of the treatment the options available, it can be a very confusing and overwhelming time. Occasionally, when prospective patients contact us they ask if they can speak to someone who has completed treatment at our facility. It may be comforting to speak to others who have had the experience of being in our facility and know us firsthand. Because this is so important, we keep a list of patient names (ambassadors) who have completed treatment and have offered to talk to individuals either by phone or email. To connect with an Ambassador, contact Lisa Ward at 904-588-1412 or fill out the contact us form. To join our list of over 100 previous patients who have agreed to share their contact information to interested prospective patients, contact email@example.com.
Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. – "Prostate Brothers" (First and Third Wednesday of the month)
First and third Wednesday of the month, join our “men only” prostate cancer group discussion. Prostate Brothers meet in the second floor research room. During this meeting, you will get valuable insight from current patients as well as have an opportunity to ask questions and learn more about proton therapy. COVID-19 safety precautions followed: physical distancing and wearing masks.
Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. – "Caregivers Support Group" (First and Third Wednesday of the month)
First and third Wednesday, the Caregivers Support Group provides a safe and supportive environment with an opportunity for open discussion, mutual support and to learn from one another’s experiences. It is a free support group for those who provide care for a loved one battling cancer. COVID-19 safety precautions followed: physical distancing and wearing masks.
Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. – “Adult Patient Support Group” (Second and Fourth Wednesday of the month)
Second and fourth Wednesday of the month, the Adult Patient Support Group provides an opportunity for adult patients with any type of cancer (except prostate cancer) to meet and support each other through their cancer journey. COVID-19 safety precautions followed: physical distancing and wearing masks.
Wednesday, 1:00 p.m. – "SPOHNC Group Meeting" (Second Wednesday of the month)
The Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer (SPOHNC) meeting is held on the second Wednesday of each month at the proton center*. Meetings are currently being held via Zoom. Future meetings may be both in-person & virtual. Zoom link: https://UFHJax.zoom.us/j/99225519103, Meeting ID: 992 2551 9103.
First Coast YMCA
Keep exercising while undergoing treatment at the YMCA. Receive an all-access membership to 17 First Coast YMCAs for monthly fees of $30 for individuals, $50 for couples, or $70 for families. Patients must sign up for the discount and receive their access card at the UF Health YMCA located at 580 W. 8th Street, first floor, Tower II. (904) 244-9350
Jacksonville Deals for Proton Patients
Patients and caregivers can go to the following locations for FREE by presenting their UF Proton name badge.
- Museum of Science and History (MOSH)
- 1025 Museum Circle - 904-396-6674 (closed Mondays – Wednesdays)
- See website for hours and other important info
- Cummer Museum
- 829 Riverside Ave – 904-356-6857 (closed on Mondays)
- Patients may walk-up at any time or reserve their Complimentary Admission Pass online at https://www.cummermuseum.org prior to arriving.
- Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary (check website for hours at www.cattyshack.org)
- 1860 Starratt Rd - 904-757-3603
- Free entry available for Day Tours. See website for required arrival times. No registration required.
- Blue Fish Restaurant – 10% discount if you show them your name badge. 3551 St Johns Ave – 904-387-0700
- Library Card – Free library card by presenting a piece of postmarked mail, driver’s license, and name badge to the downtown main library. 303 N. Laura St – 904-255-2665
- Brentwood Golf Course – Discounted golf for patient only. Mention that you are from UF Proton first when you call to arrange tee time. Weekday rates $15 (9 holes), $20 (18 holes) and weekends $16 (9 holes), $21 (18 holes). 2 for 1 range tokens all week long. 1157 MB01 Golfer Blvd – 904-924-0401
- Golf Club at North Hampton – Discounted golf after 10am. Mention that you're a patient or caregiver at UF Proton Therapy Institute and get a rate of $35/person. 22680 N. Hampton Club Way, Fernandina Beach – 904-548-0000
- AdLib Jacksonville Walking & Driving Tours – Discounts of $5 - $10 off admission with name badge depending on tour. Walking “Top to Bottom” Tours are Tuesdays at 10am. Call for tour options, to sign-up and receive discount at 904-827-1845. www.adlibtours.com
- Forget something at home like a hair dryer or lawn chair? Before you buy it, ask to see our loan closet. See the front desk for more details.
Activities temporarily suspended due to COVID-19
- The Wednesday Lunch Bunch
- Tuesday Destination Lunch Tours
- Thursday Evening Dinner Tours
- 1st Tuesday Music Nights
- Yoga Mondays
- Free tickets to Kennedy Space Center, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, Aquatica, Universal Studios, and Islands of Adventure or Disney.
We will continue to evaluate the status of the Coronavirus and bring activities back at a safer time.
Please follow our COVID-19 safety protocols while at the proton facility: wear a mask, use physical distance and minimize visitors.
Updated November 2021