Undergoing treatment for cancer is an overwhelming experience. That's why our facility truly believes interacting with other patients can be a very important part of the healing process. Therefore, there are a number of opportunities for patients and caregivers to interact in group settings or social activities. We encourage you to participate in the many programs that UF Health Proton Therapy Institute offers.
New Patient Orientation Tours
A 30-minute guided group tour of the facility is available three days a week to patients and family members. Our interactive walking tour through the facility provides patients the opportunity to see equipment used for treatment and ask treatment-related questions.
Tour groups meet in the lobby.
- Monday – 12 p.m.
- Tuesday – 4 p.m.
- Wednesday – 4 p.m.
Proton Ambassador Program
Our Proton Ambassadors are people who have completed proton therapy at our facility and have volunteered to be a resource for people who are considering proton therapy for their cancer care or that of a family member. With all of the treatment the options available, it can be a very confusing and overwhelming time. Occasionally, when prospective patients contact us they ask if they can speak to someone who has completed treatment at our facility. It may be comforting to speak to others who have had the experience of being in our facility and know us firsthand. Because this is so important, we keep a list of patient names (ambassadors) who have completed treatment and have offered to talk to individuals either by phone or email. To connect with an Ambassador, contact Lisa Ward at 904-588-1412 or fill out the contact us form. To join our list of over 100 previous patients who have agreed to share their contact information to interested prospective patients, contact email@example.com.
Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. – “Prostate Brothers” (Second and Fourth Wednesday of the month)
Second and fourth Wednesday of the month, join our “men only” prostate cancer group discussion. Prostate Brothers meet in the second floor research room. During this meeting, you will get valuable insight from current patients as well as have an opportunity to ask questions and learn more about proton therapy. COVID-19 safety precautions followed: physical distancing and wearing masks.
Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. – “Caregivers Support Group” (Second and Fourth Wednesday of the month)
Second and fourth Wednesday, the Caregivers Support Group provides a safe and supportive environment with an opportunity for open discussion, mutual support and to learn from one another’s experiences. It is a free support group for those who provide care for a loved one battling cancer. COVID-19 safety precautions followed: physical distancing and wearing masks.
Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. – “Adult Patient Support Group” (First and Third Wednesday of the month)
First and third Wednesday of the month, the Adult Patient Support Group provides an opportunity for adult patients with any type of cancer (except prostate cancer) to meet and support each other through their cancer journey. COVID-19 safety precautions followed: physical distancing and wearing masks.
Wednesday, 1:00 p.m. – “SPOHNC Group Meeting” (Second Wednesday of the month)
The Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer (SPOHNC) meeting is held on the second Wednesday of each month at the proton center*. Meetings are currently being held via Zoom. Future meetings may be both in-person & virtual. Zoom link: https://UFHJax.zoom.us/j/99225519103, Meeting ID: 992 2551 9103.
Wednesday, 12:00 p.m. – “The Lunch Bunch” (Second and Fourth Wednesday of the month)
Second and fourth Wednesday of the month, all patients, caregivers and alumni are invited to join us for a complimentary lunch in the 2nd floor Research Room. Patients are invited to share comments and brief updates with the group about their journey. Those finishing treatment will be given a UFHPTI lapel pin. In addition, physicians and staff members alternate giving brief educational presentations about the cancers we treat and the processes behind the treatment program.
Tuesday, 12:00 p.m. – “Destination Lunch” (Second Tuesday of the month)
Second Tuesday of each month, all patients and caregivers are welcomed to join us for lunch at a destination in Jacksonville. Most lunches include special arranged tours at places such as Kingsley Plantation, TPC Sawgrass, Federal Reserve and more. These lunches change locations, so be on the lookout for updates at the center. Sign-up sheet and directions are located at the coffee bar.
First Coast YMCA
Keep exercising while undergoing treatment at the YMCA. Receive an all-access membership to 17 First Coast YMCAs for monthly fees of $30 for individuals, $50 for couples, or $70 for families. Patients must sign up for the discount and receive their access card at the UF Health YMCA located at 580 W. 8th Street, first floor, Tower II. (904) 244-9350
Jacksonville Deals for Proton Patients
Patients and caregivers can go to the following locations for FREE by presenting their UF Proton name badge.
- Museum of Science and History (MOSH)
- 1025 Museum Circle - 904-396-6674 (closed Mondays – Wednesdays)
- See website for hours and other important info
- Cummer Museum
- 829 Riverside Ave – 904-356-6857 (closed on Mondays)
- Patients may walk-up at any time or reserve their Complimentary Admission Pass online at https://www.cummermuseum.org prior to arriving.
- Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary (check website for hours at www.cattyshack.org)
- 1860 Starratt Rd - 904-757-3603
- Free entry available for Day Tours. See website for required arrival times. No registration required. Call in advance to see if spots are available for Fri./Sat. Night Feedings.
- Blue Fish Restaurant – 10% discount if you show them your name badge. 3551 St Johns Ave – 904-387-0700
- Library Card – Free library card by presenting a piece of postmarked mail, driver’s license, and name badge to the downtown main library. 303 N. Laura St – 904-255-2665
- Brentwood Golf Course – Discounted golf for patient only. Mention that you are from UF Proton first when you call to arrange tee time. Weekday rates $15 (9 holes), $20 (18 holes) and weekends $16 (9 holes), $21 (18 holes). 2 for 1 range tokens all week long. 1157 MB01 Golfer Blvd – 904-924-0401
- Golf Club at North Hampton – Discounted golf after 10am. Mention that you're a patient or caregiver at UF Proton Therapy Institute and get a rate of $35/person. 22680 N. Hampton Club Way, Fernandina Beach – 904-548-0000
- AdLib Jacksonville Walking & Driving Tours – Discounts of $5 off admission. Call 904-827-1845 for direct booking. www.adlibtours.com
- Forget something at home like a hair dryer or lawn chair? Before you buy it, ask to see our loan closet. See the front desk for more details.
Updated November 2022